Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Past to Present is Confusing; is It Necessary?

Toni Morrison's peculiar way of writing has been discussed a lot during class. Although very intricate and talented, her flowing writing that transitions between past and present can be quite confusing. Morrison does not make it clear when she begins describing a memory and when she shifts back to the present. If the reader is reading carelessly, it is quite easy to miss the transition. As a result, the reader becomes confused and must reread the passage.

I think this is a brilliant technique used by Morrison. Not only does it force the reader to slow down and understand the book, it also requires them to appreciate the details of the story. Morrison paints magnificent pictures with her intricate details and fantastic use of literary techniques. For me, it takes time to genuinely appreciate the beauty of her work. Reading out loud and breaking down the passages section by section makes the book truly come alive in my eyes. Additionally, the story can be tough to follow with the amount of characters with similar names, their vivid memories, and similar settings. However, if you truly submerge yourself in Morrison's writing, you will find that in fact each character has their own special attributes, unique experiences, and interesting side stories. It was difficult to dive into the book and enjoy it. But after slowing down and approaching this book as entertainment, rather than a homework assignment, I found that it is a fantastic piece of work. I encourage anyone who is struggling to enjoy the book, to really reconsider their approach, as I believe they are missing out on marvelous opportunity to learn and broaden their spectrum of good writing.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your analysis of Morrison's constant changes in point of view. In the first few pages, I was really confused about the switching back in forth from past to present and vise versa. I think that it's a brilliant technique used by Morrison to force the reader into the story. Each character has a limited memory it seems as well. Sethe talks about memory a lot and how she doesn't remember many things that people in today's society might deem important. Also, her reactions when she remembers events in her life are so revealing about her character. I agree that the book can be appreciated in so many ways, Morrison's writing style being one of if not the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your analysis of Morrison's writing style is spot-on. From my experience, I've found it very helpful to "actively read" the novel. This type of reading helps me follow the story line and I can not when point of views and characters change. I do not think that this story would be as impactful as it is if Morrison had wrote it in any other way. The flow of the language that seems to come easy to her ties all the characters together, but does not lose their individuality. This novel is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, the book can be super confusing. I think Morrison dives seamlessly into flashbacks to show how connected the characters are to their past. I've noticed a lot throughout the book that the characters try not to think about the past too much, yet they can't ever escape it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I though going into this article's title that you were going to trash Morrison's literary techniques. I was happily surprised to see that you in fact praised them and pointed out ways in which they actually strengthen the book. I think you made a good point about the amount of effort it takes to become entrenched in this book. Like you said, while you may have to reread lots of passages, and read slowly, the nuainces of the book you gain from doing so make it entirely worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete