Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Irony of Meursault's inactions

Throughout the story, it is stated implicitly and explicitly that Meursault does not care about much : even to events that most people would have a multitude of emotions towards. For example, when Meursault just got arrested he simply just described the events that occurred. In the text it states, "Right after my arrest I was questioned several times, but it was just so they could find out who I was, which didn't take long."(63) Meursault tends to live by thinking "If I don't do much, it won't affect anyone." However, this is very wrong due to the events that happen throughout the story. For example, Meursault agreeing to Raymond's letter plan. He didn't take action to stop  Raymond's vindictive plans. As a result, Raymond's mistress got seriously hurt. Another example, is the abuse perpertrated by Salamano towards his dog. Meursault saw the daily abuse, but did nothing about it. I thought it was very strange that Meursault would describe the abuse in-depth and seemed very unbothered by it. As a result, the dog got constantly beaten down physically and mentally. He could have called animal authorities to report the abuse. Then, the dog could have been given to loving owners. The most interesting example of Meursault's inactions is when he does not advocate for himself through the trial. In the text it states, "At that point, he turned in my direction, he pointed his finger at me, and went on attacking me without my ever really understanding." (100) I thought it was interesting did not want to speak up and prove that he is a good person. As a result, the reasoning of the verdict mainly comprised of Meursault's lack of emotion and remorse. All of these examples prove that Meursault lack of actions negatively affect not only others but himself too.

Q: What are your thoughts about Meursault's inactions?

2 comments:

  1. Meursault's inactions are very annoying and hard to imagine. When I say they are hard to imagine, I mean that it is hard for me too see a human act indifferent towards everything. Nothing seems to matter to him and I don't understand why. At one point in the book I was hoping they were going to explain why he is so indifferent to everything but they don't. So your just left to wonder what's wrong with him or if anything at all is wrong with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that Meursault's lack of action throughout the entire story is irritating and at times unrealistic. In the letter with Raymond, for instance, I might understand not directly confronting the problem, especially if Meursault considers Raymond a friend, but I think that a real friend and a good person would have acted in one way or another. Though we all would have hated Meursault if he had agreed with Raymond's plan completely, he would have at least advocated for himself. I also agree that his silence in the trial was extremely interesting and vexing. He thought many times that he disagreed with what was being said about him and he seemed to want to speak up, but he never did. I think it might have been for lack of solid evidence, (everyone laughed when he blamed the sun for his shooting) but I don't think that it was the main reason preventing him from speaking up. That part really stayed with Meursault's passive character and the theme of existentialism in the book and solidified Meursault's static nature.

    ReplyDelete