Sunday, October 22, 2017

A Man Who Lives A Day

While in jail, Meursault details everything he goes through. He talks about the things he misses, the things he doesn't miss, and the memories he has. After recalling that memories he has outside of jail, he says, "....the more I thought about it, the more I dug out of my memory things I had overlooked or forgotten.  I realized then that a man who had lived only one day could easily live for a hundred years in prison. He would have enough memories to keep him from being bored. In a way, it was an advantage" (79). Later Meursault remembers a news article that he read once, and now he replays it in his head several times a day. He also talks about he would go around his jail cell, memorize the things in there, and then memorize where everything is. Obviously, one day can involve so many different stimulus that if you recalled it all it would be endless. However, I think it takes a certain person to be able to find the excitement in the number of steps you took in the one day, the color of the trees you passed, or the temperature of that particular day.  In Meusault's case, he has nothing he cares about enough that plagues his mind.  I don't think a man who lives one day can live a hundred years in jail without boredom, that's a gross exaggeration. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. However, I also think that Mersault has a completely different state of mind than most, and that for him the point of living is just to be born then die, instead of actually doing anything constructive in the years between.

    ReplyDelete