Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The truth Is, I Did Not Really Like Trust

I wasn't huge on Trust. I thought that it was okay. The fact that I missed the beginning could have very well affected my opinion. When I was watching it, however, I felt uncomfortable. This may have been because of the acting. I realize that the acting was purposeful and thus highlighted a deeper meaning but, if anything, it distracted me. I think that the acting hampered me from connecting the movie to reality because it made the story seem almost superficial. The plot itself didn't help the acting. While the characters were experiencing jarring experiences, they seemed to lack emotions. I know that their reluctance towards emotions connects to the existentialism in the movie but the fact that nearly all characters acted like this made the existentialist theme overtly forced.

The camera shots also somewhat irked me because at several points in the movie, someone was talking but the camera never actually faced them. Instead, it stayed on another character's face for much longer than it needed to be. The lack of footage on the speaker, again, distracted me but also took away a crucial part of the movie -- the speaker's body language.


I don't inherently dislike anything about the movie but I am also not particularly in love with any part either. I did, however, like Maria's and Matthew's backgrounds. Their similar backgrounds helped create a certain intimacy between which added to the overall appeal of the movie. While their age difference hindered this appeal, it in some ways also helped. It helped because, at least I think, it gave the character's choices more stake and helped reveal Matthew's immaturity and Maria's maturity which together created an equilibrium. Also, it made their love seem forbidden which, connecting to existentialism, made the two outsiders, whose love was immutable despite its societal challengers (such as Maria's mother, Matthew's father, or the townspeople).


In summation, the plot itself was pretty good but many of the directorial techniques were not my favorite.


DQ: Did certain techniques such as the acting or montage of the film increase or decrease how much you enjoyed the movie?



No comments:

Post a Comment