Thursday, October 5, 2017

What is love?

Nothing in Meursault's life provokes an emotional reaction, demonstrating his shallow personality. A component of this includes his relationships. Meursault and Marie's relationship is an unfortunate example of this. The one sided relationship demonstrates his lack of a deeper emotional connection. On page 41, Meursault narrated, "Marie came by to see me and asked me if I wanted to marry her. I said it didn't make any difference to me and that we could if she wanted to." His reaction was so nonchalant to a topic that has such a seriousness to it. Which illuminates his shallow character, as he did not care about Marie's feelings to his reaction. His diction was so casual, so unattached. Reading his response made me so frustrated because Marie isn't acknowledging his shallowness, as she stayed with him instead of breaking up with him in that instance! His relationship with Marie poses the question for me as to whether there are people out there like Meursault who seriously have no emotional connection or feeling to other people. How can Meursault treat people, especially Marie-a romantic partner, with such indifference?

No comments:

Post a Comment