Thursday, October 5, 2017

Nonchalant Sexism: Purposeful or Subconscious?

'Is Albert Camus doing this on purpose or is this an inherent and subconscious ode to sexism and superiority complexes?' This question is so absolutely reoccurring in my investigation into the meanings behind this book that I'm more questioning of the author than the main character (the character everyone is supposed to be mad at (for good reason)). Yes, we all know Raymond is the personification of toxic masculinity. This is visualized through his physical and psychological abuse of "his mistress." It is also evident that Raymond has an identity and pride insecurity, as these commonly run parallel within sexist/oppressive ideologies. We, as readers in the 21st century can often become numb to grave issues such as sexism, racism, xenophobia, ableism, etc. So when we read texts with these characters, it is common for us to demonize that one character instead of questioning all relevant and present characters, and also the author, the originator of the story's being. Meursault, playing the role of the bystander, is thus choosing the side of the oppressor in every interaction of sexism. He is perpetuating an obvious discrimination by allowing Raymond to think one can do so much damage, and justify it afterwards without repercussion. Although, relating back to my point, what worries me is the fact that Marie, who is dating Meursault, is also constantly being put into, whichever side of the binary, this sexism. This underlying and unquestioned inaction worries and pushes me to ask, is Albert Camus doing this on purpose or is this a normalized concept in the world and time period in which this book was written? What frustrates and "surprises" me is the objectification and lack of action done by Marie. Not only does Meursault become affectionate towards Marie only when "he wants her" but she, much like the Benjamin binary text we read eariler this year state, that she plays a role into this binary by allowing it to happen and laughing it off.  I believe this Marie character is far more important to the text and global issues than we are giving her. We could go the route and say this constant laughter is her being put in uncomfortable situations and her way of dealing with the issue is laughter, which is a very normal response to pressured experiences. Although, in the scene when Meursault and Marie see Raymond abusing the woman, all she does is ask someone else to call the police. This worried me greatly. One could argue this is her being a bystander as well. In situations of any sort, if someone is bleeding to death due to assault, merely asking someone else to call the police is not enough. We as readers must realize there are many more origins of sexism than the, while still obviously unacceptable and valid to the story, physical abuse Raymond earlier had on the woman he was involved with. There are many roads to go down on this concept and I tried to scrape the surface, so that's it for now.

5 comments:

  1. Kristen, I had a very similar reaction to the text. I also wrote about the dangers of hyper-masculinity and Raymond's raging insecurity. I love what you said about Marie and how she contributes to her own oppression. It is frustrating when people, both men and women, think that patriarchy is only about men oppressing women. Women participate and perpetuate their own oppression every single day in ways we aren't even aware of. Marie is the perfect example of how some women lean into submission and turn a blind eye to objectification. I think this post is awesome, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about this too as I read about the interactions between Meursault, Raymond, and Salamano - I think the characters' sexism is especially clear when Raymond and Meursault demonstrate some sympathy for Salamano's abused dog, yet are complicit in the abuse of Raymond's mistress. I agree that Marie's actions are frustrating and I agree with how Georgia said that women can participate unknowingly in our own oppression or the oppression of other women. I know that another existentialist of the time period, Simone de Beauvoir, is generally considered a 'feminist' - so since there were others even in the existentialist movement that challenged concepts of gender, I wonder how Camus would fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Marie serves a larger purpose in this story as well. As readers, we try to analyse Meursault's unusual behavior but I have been really concerned as to why the other characters in this novel don't seem to have the same reactions as us readers. They almost ignore the fact that he is unconcerned and remorseless. Many times throughout this novel , Marie is completely oblivious to his inability to express his emotion or remorse for another individual. She almost serves as a bystander herself and that is probably why she can't find the words or feelings to speak out on the men's behavior. This conflicts me because I want to have empathy for her but I can't fathom why she is so accepting of this. I'm more interested in her character now that you've shed some light on her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the idea that Marie is a pivotal character in the text. Since Meursault is so simple and doesn't speak much to the fact that Marie has emotions, she can come off as one sided and non complex. But I think she symbolizes the ties that Meursault doesn't think are worth having in life, and to Camus, using a woman to fill this role was his first option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about Marie! At one point I want to sympathize for her because Meursault does not reciprocate feelings for her in their relationship. But I also pity her because if she were seriously advocating for herself she would get out of that unhealthy relationship the first time she asked if he loved her and he responded indifferently! I agree with Camille that she symbolizes the ties that Meursault doesn't think are worth living, because she is living for love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete