Sunday, October 15, 2017

Quit Playing Games

Albert Camus perceives Meursault as a hero in our society because he doesn't let social norms influence his life. Mourning over a loved one, he doesn't do. Loving his fiance, nope. Regretting murdering a stranger, nah.

He behaves how he wants without taking into consideration the impact it will have on others. I don't see him as a hero but an asshole. But, I get what Camus is getting at. He doesn't indulge in the toxic situations society burdens upon oneself. Why would you waste so much of your life trying to tend to an issue or person when you can do what you genuinely want to do. Because you have freedom and have the capability of making any choice, so why choose something you should do or feel inclined to doing because its expected from you by society.

However, that still isn't going to make me screw over all my relationships to make myself happy. If I had the choice to hang out with someone I don't like knowing it would help out their situation or go do my own thing I would help out that person. But, if I had the choice to go take before homecoming pictures (not dragging anyone) because its expected over what I want to do I'm going to do me! If I had the choice to pick up my dog's deuces or just leave it on the ground because it would inconvenience me and it smells I would pick up the poop even though it's a societal expectation.

Conforming isn't always bad. It's all dependent and relative.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Mersault is going through life as an existentialist but he truly is not really living. We all say that Mersault can do anything her truly wants to because he does not conform to society's covers, but he is not living at all. He sits in his apartment and watches the street, watches people go by, and takes in what is going on rather that taking place in what is going on. Is he an existentialist or is he just letting his life go to waste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and I certainly wouldn't want to live my life in the exact same way Meursault did, but I do think that some of his principles and ideas could really benefit people in our society today. I think that if less people cared about being participants in what's going on all the time, they'd be much better off and feel less left out. It's okay to be happy on your own, and it's okay to be happy doing absolutely nothing, as long as you have the choice. On the other hand though, I do think it's a good idea to pick up your dog's poop because like "treat people the way you would want to be treated" and all that. I like the golden rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your argument as well because by foregoing relationships and real human connection, I feel as though Meursault is missing out on a big part of life. I still think it's important to be confident enough in your own beliefs to go through with them, even if they are against the current of what is normalized in society, which for Meursault is denying himself human connection. But at the same time, as humans we are inherently social beings, and even if it is just a construct or coping mechanism for the absurdity of life, I think relationships matter because good experiences become great when you can share them with someone you care about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete