Sunday, October 29, 2017

Trust makes me :( then :) then :(

Maria and Matthew need each other to help one another escape their toxic situation, as it seems we are helpless in regards to self awareness and self care.

Maria's mom wants her to live with her forever and do tenuous chores daily; Not to mention the CONSTANT emotional ABUSE. Maria accepts this fate and continues to endure her awful mom.

Now Matthew is also trapped in an abusive home with a belligerent dad. He is abused physically and emotionally as he meticulously is forced to do pointless domestic chores.

When Maria and Matthew are with one another they see that one another deserves better, a realization that they tragically don't see for themselves. Maria saves Matthew from his degrading life and Matthew encourages her to leave hers.

How come Maria can't see that she deserves better than how her mom treats her and how come Matthew can't see the same? If it weren't for them meeting they would be miserably stuck in their personally tailored hell. So i'm sad because of their lives, happy because they help one another, and sad that it was dependent on one another.






This is compellingly applicable to our reality. We see a struggling friend and fervently try and help them out of a toxic situation whilst we are choking on our own words and actions as we are blind to see that we also need to get out of a similar predicament.




2 comments:

  1. I think your concluding argument is very compelling because I see that in myself. I can't take my own advice, and when people try to replay my own advice back to me, I completely disregard it. Sometimes our reciprocation of advice and trust to ourselves is more important than giving it to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that both characters are far too focused on each other's issues to help themselves. That being said, I wonder what would've happened if they had never met, particularly with Matthew. I feel as though Maria would've eventually gone home on her own accord and suffered her mother's abuse forever. Matthew on the other hand seemed to be on a much more self-destructive path and was simply derailed by meeting Maria. I wonder if they had never met, would he have still attempted his grenade stunt as the ultimate act of defiance. Would this have been better than silently suffering under his father?

    ReplyDelete