Thursday, October 5, 2017

Was Meursault Justified in his actions?

In the beginning of the story, the reader finds out immediately that Meursault's mother has died. When Meursault goes to the home where he put his mom in, the director discusses how Meursault put his mom there. In the text it states, "You don't have to justify yourself, my dear boy. I've read your mother's file. You weren't able to provide for her properly. She needed someone to look after her. You earn a modest salary. And the truth of the matter is, she was happier here." (4) I think Meursault was somewhat justified in his actions regarding his mother because he was looking out for her best interest. Meursault could not financially support his mother, so he did what he had to do. However, I thought it was quite odd that Meursault rarely visited his Mother. Meursault states, "the trouble of getting to the bus, buying tickets, and spending two hours traveling." (5) To me, it is strange that he could not make the effort to see family. It almost seems like Meursault regarded his mother as a mere aquaintance and not family. Meursault does not even defend his actions by maybe saying "It was hard for me to send her away, but I did what I had to do." He just lets the director talk and he simply agrees. It is almost as if Meursault does not care if his mother stayed home or went to the old people home because he would've had a unconcerned attitude either way.

Q: Do you think Meursault was justified in his actions?

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your explanation as to why Meursault did not really care about the death of his mother. While he thought of his mother as more of an acquaintance rather than a loved one. I think that Meursault does not care for the death of his mother because he realizes that death is inevitable and that you cannot escape it. we see examples of this with the sun in part 3 of chapter 1 and the fact that he does not have a purpose in his life. He just does things as they come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in saying that Meursault sees his mother as simply an acquaintance rather than a family member. I also agree with him not having to justify himself for putting her in the home because it's true that he could not support her. I think that she was happier in the home anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Meursault was justified in his actions. I think your reasoning is correct when you say it was justified because he didn't have the money. However, I don't believe that was the primary factor in putting her in a home. I think Meursault really took in consideration his own personal convenience, rather than the financial burden it caused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your argument that Meursault probably had good reason to put his mother in the home and I also agree that it is odd the way that he views his mother. He talks about her almost as a stranger or acquaintance. The fact that he doesn't defend himself against the director just seems to fit into his character, simply unemotional and unattached to things. Though in the first part, Meursault seems to regard his mother very harshly, in the second part, there are specific passages where he remembers his mother and seems to care a bit more. Near the end of the book, he says that for the first time in a long time, he thought about his mother. While that sentence fits with his unemotional character presented throughout the book, he goes on to talk about her more and understand more about her before she died. Overall, I think that he was justified in moving her to the home, but no so much in never visiting or communicating with her.

    ReplyDelete