Thursday, December 7, 2017

Rollin' like a stoner

For my music Poetry I chose a song that has deep layers that are covered by the tempo and feeling of the song, Rollin' like a stoner by Vic Mensa. The purpose of this song is to describe the life of a rockstar but it goes deeper than that, the song is more of a cry for help. The song speaks of a dangerous lifestyle that involves non stop drugs, alcohol, and partying. In the first verse of the song the speaker (a rockstar) comes out and specifically states that he needs help. "Rollin' like a stoner, I don't care about everything. Out of control, I forgot to take my medicine If I take this pill, that would be death of me I am a disaster, I don't need a recipe Tried to be sober, that didn't work for me I don't know your name, please excuse my memory Anti-social, get the fuck away from me I got a problem". In this first verse he speaks of a fear of death, lack of ability to care, and acknowledges that he has a problem. The speaker went far enough to even try to fix his issues but that didn't work so it came to a point where he became helpless and this is where the cry for help comes in. 

Another thing that struck me in this song is the chorus. The chorus of a song is usually the most repeated and the most known part of the song and in the chorus of this song there is the line "I've got a problem that nobody knows". This in my mind strengthens the cry for help because if you don't pay attention to the lyrics or understand the deeper meaning of the song you will hear that part.

In verse two there is a sense of hope, I say this because they say the first step is admitting you have a problem. "They say "Vic are you okay"? Dude no way. I don't even know no more. I don't even pour no more" here not only does he admit that he is not okay but he takes steps to get better by stopping his drinking. But sadly like most this does not last and he goes back to his old ways which may push him over the edge "Pour another cup, yes. Now I'm hearin' voices, in my head, Tellin' me to jump off, of the edge. I got a problem, nobody knows". 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah that song is so good Vic is a really good writer. I've never thought about it in this much depth now I wanna go listen to it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have listened to this song a bunch of times and I do think the song has a really good purpose to it. I never once thought about the chorus until now. You make a great point about how it really is the most repeated lines in this whole song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you call it a cry for help. In most cases, especially in rap/hip hop, there is a message that doing drugs is like a perk to the rap lifestyle, and it is almost praised. I have never actually listened to this song but from the title I defiantly thought it was going to be similar to others I have heard, but it takes that assumption that many have and completely turns it around. I like how you described it a lot.

    ReplyDelete