Friday, December 8, 2017

Praying


The song Praying by Kesha was the first single she released after four years. The powerful song gives listeners the experience of finally overcoming an abusive relationship. While the song is literally directed at her former producer, Dr. Luke, who tried to tear down her confidence and self worth so that he would have complete control over life, it speaks to anyone who has been in an abusive relationship.

Perpetrators for abusive relationships tear down the self-esteem of their partner so that they don’t think they deserve better. Kesha starts her song by singing about how she felt like nothing.

Well, you almost had me fooled
Told me that I was nothing without you

Kesha then goes on to describe the freeing feeling that escaping a relationship like this is.

I'm proud of who I am
No more monsters, I can breathe again

The use of the words monster and breathe in this line are multidimensional. The word Monster has a literal definition but also evokes the emotions of being scared and overpowered. Here, Kesha is referring to the abuser and the depression that she faced. The word breathe contrasts the emotions that she felt due to her “monsters” and shows the freeing feeling that those in abusive relationships feel when they finally realize their self worth and can escape.

While it is possible to read in books or online about how harmful abusive relationships can be, this song makes the listener feel the anger, power and freedom she is now allowed to feel.  This is poetry because it helps people in abusive relationships to know that they are worth more than they believe and that they will find the strength to move on.




And we both know all the truth I could tell



I'll just say this is "I wish you farewell"

2 comments:

  1. Great song choice!! Praying is an incredible song, and through the lyrics and her vocals you can definitely feel all of the pain, anger, and now freedom that Kesha endured with this relationship. Listening to it a roller coaster that always leaves me fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a powerful song. Both the music and the lyrics really draw the audience into both the helplessness she was trapped in, and then the power and agency she finally has. I love the triumph in the line "I'm proud of who I am/ No more monsters, I can breathe again." Kesha really opened up a door for people to communicate and understand the horrors of sexual assault and harassment that have been trivialized and invalidated for so long.

    ReplyDelete