Friday, December 8, 2017

Let Me Out and Some of It's Poetic structure

Let Me Out is a song recently released by the band Gorillaz in their album Humanz. Just as an introduction to the standard Gorillaz format in case you aren't already familiar, the band has about two constant musicians in their cast. The rest are other musicians who join for a song or two. As a result, the type of music the group produces varies from song to song, and very different themes can emerge. However, the album that Let Me Out is a part of does fit into the album's broader attention to many of the more recent political issues, while still being fairly subtle. Let Me Out specifically communicates much of the recent American experience, specifically that of African Americans. The writers of the song use more literal writing, such as in the section where they say
Look into my eyes, mama, tell me what you see
Tell me there's a chance for me to make it off the streets
Tell me that I won't die at the hands of the police
Promise me I won't outlive my nephew and my niece
Promise me my pastor isn't lyin' as he preach
Tell me that they'll listen if it's lessons that I teach
Tell me there's a heaven in the sky where there is peace
But until then, I keep my piece in arm's reach
 The song is not subtle here. They use repetition, a bit of rhyming at the end of each line, and the structure to really place the listener in the same room as the speaker. They bluntly communicate the fears that the African American communities of America must face, communicating this experience as effectively as you can without living it. You see a lot of the hopelessness that the speaker feels.

Another interesting set of lines is when the song states that
Change coming
You'd best be ready for it
This line could be aimed either at the oppressors who are creating many of the issues of today, or it could be a reassurance, or both. The song communicates the multidimensional nature of change and institutional oppressions, and how changes can affect both parties.

What about the main line of the song? "Let me out." This line evokes a desperate need to escape. What would the speaker be attempting to escape from? Maybe a country and culture that has rapidly gotten worse for everyone, especially minorities, that condemns people based on their skin color. It makes sense. The way the line is sung actually also helps to get across this meaning. It might not be obvious unless you're wearing good headphones, but the line jumps around. It's on the left at one utterance, and on the right the next. It gives the effect that there are many clamoring for their freedom.

The song itself is really interesting, and poetry or no, it has some great lines and a great tune. It is a work of art that communicates with its observer in interesting ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment