Thursday, December 7, 2017

GOTHBOICLIQUE

When Mr. Heidkamp was introducing to this assignment he told us that the kids were getting less cool each year because he liked less and less of the songs. While his message was not quite correct (we're not getting less cool.. he's just getting older), it did make me want to find some poetry in the music my mom doesn't like. Immediately I wanted to analyze a Lil Peep song because he's one of the most poetic guys I know, but, to be honest, after his recent death it would be too sad of a blog post. So I stayed in his clique... GOTHBOYCLQUE. His clique is exclusively goth boys so I knew I would find some good and emo content there. I chose "Carousel" by HorseHead. He writes my favorite whiny love songs. My favorite part of the lyrics are the two metaphors he uses, one in the first lines of the song. 

     There's this picture, in my head
     In the middle theres this girl I like on a Carousel
     Her life is spinning out of control and it kinda gets you dizzy
     But you decide you like the feeling and I do too

The Carousel in the picture in his head is a subconscious metaphor for her life. Yes, carousels spin and yes, he says her life is spinning out of control in the next line, but the choice of the carousel is more deliberate than that. There are no steering wheels or reigns on carousel horses and you don't get to choose which direction you're going. Horsehead's choice of a carousel symbolizes that the girl is just along for the ride in her life. He then says that her life makes people dizzy. Clearly one cannot become literally dizzy from life, but it portrays an essence of a fast paced and crazy life. They both like the feeling so Horsehead joins her on the carousel (dates her). Things take a turn for the worst in the next metaphor. 

     So bury my heart, in the soil
     If you wanted things to grow you would water it everyday
     Wouldn't you have

So here we have a strange sort of plantification/metaphor for his love. In society (not science) the heart is considered to be like the seed of love. In this metaphor he's saying that she must not have wanted the relationship to work out because if she wanted the plant of their love to grow, she obviously would have watered it... duh. In this case, she's not watering a literal plant. She's watering their relationship, with attention and honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment