Thursday, December 7, 2017

Trav

I'd first like to state that any song can be considered poetry, since we're all open to our own opinions.

Travis Scott's Oh My Dis Side is a song I loved ever since the first day it was released. This song is from his album titled Rodeo, the album tells a story from start to finish and this song is one part of that story. The song follows Jacques Webster on his journey from his young days in Houston to his newfound stardom. In the song he spends one half of the song speaking about his new lifestyle, and the second half speaking about his old life while living in Houston.

Two ways that Scott uses poetic devices in this song are through rhyme and lines that provide a double meaning. Scott states,"Lot of lone stars in dis side," which relates to Texas being the lone star state and musical stars. He has many lines that are similar to this one.

In a part of the song, Travis states,"Mama kicked me out the house now, oh my/I might end up on a couch now, oh my/I'm on a flight now (yeah!) oh my/LA, at another couch now, oh my."He is talking about his mom kicking him out of his house, which forced him to pursue music while transitioning to a new home. These lines express his personal struggles in pursuing his new life, that would not be ruled by drug-ridden Houston. He speaks to the notion that to make it out: you have to sell drugs, make music, or die. This doesn't necessarily address the poetic aspect of the song, but it addresses him speaking to actual events in his life and what drives him, which is more than most people do with their music. 

The song is also split into two separate parts, which is why the song is also referred to as Oh My/Dis Side. This split is similar to the way stanzas separate poems and is most similar to the volta in sonnets. At the middle point of the song, his and Quavo's(the other artist featured in this song) tones take a turn.

Though I consider this song poetry on its own, I believe that the song is best when accompanied by the rest of the songs in the album. Other songs on the album might better fit this assignment, but I had to pick this song.

1 comment:

  1. I love this song and the rest of Rodeo album, but I feel like the greatness of Travis Scott is more so in his brilliant musicality than textual lyricism. I think that his recently released music really shows that, because without the complex and intricate melodies of Rodeo his songs kinda lose their magic.

    ReplyDelete