Monday, December 4, 2017

Citizen

The reading of citizen is unlike any book that I have ever read, especially throughout my high school  career. Claudia Rankine's style is very unique in the sense that instead of one long story describing a personal narrative, but she has a collection of short stories. 

These short stories are actual events that have taken place, while reading these collection of stories I have felt more connected to them. I think the effects the short stories are more meaningful because Rankine has taken everyday events that I and i'm sure many others have just glazed over. For example, the short story about the therapist really struck me. I found it very interesting that she is a trauma therapist and uses her house for a place to consult with patients. The therapists initial reaction to the new patient on the porch was panicked and concerned. Did she have a right to be? Was it due to race? Were all the questions that came to my mind, while rereading this passage I concluded that the therapists reaction was 100%  due to the patient being African America. Although she wasn't aware of what the new patient looked like, did she need to be told? I think this short story did a great job of showing how people assume whiteness. 

Rankine shows whiteness throughout all these collections of stories and to me these short stories do a great job of showing many different scenarios with the same message. The fact that every short story involves a different person and a different background is more meaningful, allowing to show the reader the repetition of racism in the modern world, that we deem so progressive. 

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you said she uses the short stories for one central theme. At times, it can feel like they're unrelated, but Rankine does a great job of relating tennis to police brutality or coffee shop mishaps to childhood trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you talked about the realness of these short stories. They feel so personal when you read them. Almost like you're right there with the speaker. I think this is what Rankine had in mind when she was writing. That this would be more powerful to the readers.

    ReplyDelete