Monday, December 4, 2017

An Elitist sport

After hearing about Serena William's outburst' during the US open Semi-final in 2009, many connections were made in my head between tennis and golf. Both sports are seen as an elitist sport, and golf having especially traditional rules. Last summer, I caddied at a Country Club that didn't allow women to step foot on the course. My second day I went on to quit because of this wild rule. My mother couldn't even give me a ride!

 She had to drop me off a block away, and it just didn't seem fair, that a woman who has achieved so much in her life to be degraded. It felt like we were in early 1900's again! It is surprising that any human being wanted to preserve the beliefs at that time.

While I struggle to fathom what happened to Serena at the US open semi-final in which she was apparently "making death threats" to a line judge, I find that within sports that have held certain beliefs for so long, those who step out of the stereo-type are discriminated against mainly because of jealousy. I feel that once those within these elitist sports are able to rid of their traditional ways will result in a huge societal step toward equality, but realistically, there's a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment