Monday, December 4, 2017

Issues with Citizen

While most of the things I’ve read so far are absolutely examples of racism, such as what happened to Serena Williams, some of the things Rankine talks about seem like things that happen to everyone.

When I was a child I was knocked over by someone who didn’t apologize and kept walking, and I think everyone has been called a different name on accident. I have accidentally cut people of all races because I didn't see them and then apologized, it's just because I'm inattentive.

It seems like Rankine as a black woman is used to having so many little things going against her that she just sees everything that’s bad as happening because she is black. Seeing what seem to me like non-issues mixed in with legitimate racism was one of my biggest issues of the book, because it destroyed the flow. When the part you are reading is supposed to be a stream of the day to day racism Rankine goes through, it can be jarring to see something so mundane.

I feel like I have to be missing something, because Rankine included everything for a reason, but I truly can't figure out why some of these experiences were included. If anyone can share insight on this I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment