Sunday, December 3, 2017

Switch perspective

Through the first have section of this book of stories I was intrigued but at the same time I felt like those situations were all too familiar. Stories of white privilege, micro-aggressions, and social inequalities, but by looking at the speaker and audience I was able to figure out why the stories sounded so similar to me. I realized that by being an African American these are situations that you already have awareness of this because in some way it has impacted you or those before you. From their I figured that the audience can't be people who already know or have been affected by it so it would have to be for those who are unaware but it still seemed as if it was talking to black bodies. I decided that Rankin wanted to switch perspectives and put whites in a situation where they feel the stigma of being in a black body. Many of the people creating this stigma are white so by switching perspective they can see what they do and feel the impact.

1 comment:

  1. I liked what you had to say about the perspective change for the writer, to the speaker. I completely agree with why the Rankine switched it. As a white girl I think it is more impact full this way, than had she written it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete