Monday, December 7, 2015

Music Poetry

It not everyday that when you first come across a song you think about poetry. But when I heard "Mirage" by ECCO2K, I knew what I was listening to was poetry. I found ECCO2K from another popular Swedish rapper named Yung Lean. The few had collaborated on a few songs, so I decided to explore more of Ecco's music. What I found, few and far between, was pretty astonishing. Ecco's music is less known, and harder to find, so I was definitely drawn to its exclusivity. But what sold me on his music were the poetic lyrics, lyrics I could relate to in many ways. Anyways, back to the main point. The music video for Mirage can be found here and the track is on SoundCloud hereThe lyrics are vague at first, and I can't argue that it isn't a little hard to understand the auto-tuned verses at first listen.

I have no doubt that Mirage is poetry. While the verses do have an AABB rhyme scheme, it doesn't add much to the piece. However, the poem does bear slight resemblance to that of a Sonnet. The main point that Ecco is trying to get across is that he is uncomfortable with his identity, and there isn't much that can't help him feel worth. This is shown in the verse, "I woke up today, within' I was someone else" and the verse "Random character select, had no luck". He is delusional without his girl. This is shown in the verse, "Mirages in the desert when I'm missing her". But he also doesn't believe in the concept of love, saying "Love is a mirage". The last verse of the song before the the refrain, "T-shirt extra large" and "Two electric cars came out the garage" could be a possible references to the identity that he is trying to create for himself. He feels like his he has large shoes to fill, or in this case a T-shirt. The cars might be referencing the standard to which he must live up to.

"Love is mirage, but it's over now"

No comments:

Post a Comment