Saturday, December 5, 2015

Daily Discrimination

When we first began reading "Citizen" I had no idea what to think. Having Mrs. Baielli for English last year, I felt that we often talked about race, her fear of the cops and the discussions the English department had about race before school on Wednesdays. I think, what I didn't realize, was just how difficult every day life can be for black Americans.

Obviously there is so much injustice in the news especially involving white cops shooting black men if they seem "suspicious" (Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown). But "Citizen" explores much beyond all of these widespread news stories.

The entire world took notice when huge cases involving deaths were brought to court, but it's the day to day prejudice that black Americans experience that truly makes it all the more worse. The discrimination that still occurs, yet the police can do nothing to prevent. Additionally, even in the trials that occur, there is rarely ever full justice. There will always be white privilege.

While reading "Citizen" I was interested in the story of Serena Williams and her constant struggle with discrimination on the court. I'm not a huge tennis follower anyways, but it completely surprised me with how much she was going through based on her race. It made me so angered that there were two refs in particular that made calls based on her color alone, and not based on what she actually did.

I am content that "Citizen" explores the reality of "equality" in America and brings about the truth of the most basic and extreme forms of racism that exist today. Reading this story has so far given me much better insight into the daily discrimination many people face in America.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read more of Citizen. Rankine's writing is very powerful, and provides great insight into discrimination and racism. The Serena Williams story is quite shocking, and I'm sure there are other equally powerful stories in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you. I fell like Citizen gives us a look into what it really is like for black Americans and their daily lives, something we never really get a look at. I am really interested in reading the rest of the book to get a glimpse into this daily occurrence.

    ReplyDelete