Sunday, December 6, 2015

Powerful Poetry

I have never read a book written the way that Citizen is. The book still confuses me while I am reading it, but I am starting to become more comfortable with it. I love the way that Claudia Rankine uses poetry to write about discrimination. I think since it is written in such a unique way, the message that Rankine is trying to tell becomes more present. Though a bit confusing at times, Rankine's powerful lines in the book really make you go back and think about what she is trying to say. One line that I found particularly powerful was, "The body is the threshold across which each objectionable call passes into consciousness-all the unintimidated, unblinking, and unflappable resilience does not erase the moments lived through, even as we are eternally stupid or everlastingly optimistic, so ready to be inside, among, a part of the games"(28). I am going to be honest and say I am not one hundred percent sure what this line exactly means. However, this line makes me stop and think about it. I think it is trying to say how even though we try to forget about the bad moments we have gone through, those moments will always be a part of our lives. I like that instead of being blatant and saying this, Claudia Rankine wrote it in a way that's unique and complex.

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I too am having some trouble reading this book. I do really enjoy reading it, but it can be a little hard to understand the exact message that is trying to be conveyed. This is what I like about Citizen though. Like you said, Rankine explains her thoughts in such a unique way that it really speaks to the reader.

    ReplyDelete