Thursday, December 10, 2015

Holding On To You

The song "Holding On To You" by Twenty One Pilots from the album Vessel, means so many different things to me, and every time I listen to it I notice another line that strikes me. The way I relate to this song is constantly evolving as it becomes connected to different parts of my life.

I think that may be precisely the reason I'm drawn to it. It captures this internal-external struggle that is so ongoing, especially when you're trying to figure out who you are and how to show that person to others. It says, "I must've forgot, you can't trust me, I'm open a moment and close when you show it, Before you know it, I'm lost at sea."But then as the song progresses it becomes obvious that they are grounding themselves in a person saying, "You are surrounding all my surroundings." The song constantly switches back and forth between the internal struggle of holding on to one's sense of self, and the external manifestation of that struggle that the person deals with by holding on to another person.  

At the end, they repeat "Entertain my faith," as if begging the listener to see things the way they see them, and it's here that you really understand the struggle of explaining oneself to another and feeling understood. And yet you continue to hold on to others.

I think that this song's multidimensional meanings and emotions that it expresses matches if not exceeds the emotional element found in poetry. In the musical aspect of the song, you can hear the desperation and urgency that the lyrics hold in a way that is not always expressed in a simple reading.  This song has not only been a central song in a friendship, but has also played a huge part in some realizations about myself especially in this time of questioning one's identity before college. I think the fact that this song played into both my internal and external life speaks to the truth and the emotions portrayed in this song.

And this wouldn't be complete without what I think is the most powerful part of the song. . .

"And the window sill looks really nice, right?
You think twice about your life, 
It probably happens at night, 
Right?
Fight it,
Take the pain, ignite it,
Tie a noose around your mind 
Loose enough to breathe fine and tie it
To a tree. Tell it, 'You belong to me.
This ain't a noose, this is a leash.
And I have news for you: you must obey me.'"


If that's not multidimensional language, I don't know what is. 

1 comment:

  1. I've heard this song a few times, but after reading this post I have a much greater appreciation for the song. I think this song relates universally because at some point in life everyone with trying to stay true to yourself while holding on to others. Awesome analysis!

    ReplyDelete