Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wake Up

When we are young we tend to believe that growing up means that we become more free and confident. However, this is not necessarily the case. The song Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots is about a young adult who is realizing/ experiencing what growing up actually means. The singer takes on the personality of "Blurryface" (a part/ personality of the singer himself).  Blurryface reminisces about how much easier it was when he was young.

"Wish we could turn back time to the good old days"

Stressed Out is about how we think that growing up is a good thing when we are young. But, after we become adults we realize we have to take on new responsibilities and act differently compared to when we are young.

"Used to dream of outer space, but now they're laughing at our face/ singing 'wake up, you need to make money' "

Blurryface is commiserating with other young adults who, like himself, are just realizing that being an adult is not the great thing they had dreamed about. The song uses very similar contrasting statements to show the difference from being young and old.

"We use to play pretend, used to play pretend, money/ We used to play pretend, wake up you need the money"

Blurryface seems to have the job he dreamed off when he was a kid.  He is a musician.  But, that dream turned into the burden of a job that had pressures.

"I wish I found some better sounds no one's ever heard/ I wish I had a better voice that sang some better words/ I wish I found some chords in an order that is new/ I wish I didn't have to rhyme every time I sang."


Link to Lyrics: http://www.directlyrics.com/twenty-one-pilots-stressed-out-lyrics.html

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post and connected to the meaning of the song. I think it's good to enjoy our youth even though society pushes us to grow up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really don't think this song is poetry. Kinda up in your face and not multidimensional. Like, twenty one pilots is kinda music that the record industry churns out to get 8th grade girls thinking that they're "edgy" and "underground" and "indie" and "not like the other tumblr girls".
    So, in short, really not poetry. In my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have something against this band/ song...

      a. Poetry can be "up in your face" (a lot of poetry is and does this on purpose)

      b. Multidimensional language means that the song communicates experience (which I explained it does in my analysis) and the song does not just involve intelligence (but it uses senses, emotions, and imagination).

      c. Don't be like one of those people who complains about all the "sell out" bands and act like you have a superior taste in music than everyone else. Yes, you should try to have some diversity in your music taste. But it's okay to listen to more popular/ mainstream music sometimes.

      Delete
    2. a. Spoken word, up-in-your-face poetry is original. This is not. Kinda cliche and annoying.
      b. ehhhhhh. I don't really agree with that, because, guess what, growing up is an experience that everyone has. It's not unique and therefore really has no value. And is cliche and annoying.
      c. My point still stands. Don't use rhetoric to jab at me personally, you shouldn't care what kind of music I like or listen to but consider the way that they do audience targeting.
      8th grade white tumblr girls from the suburbs.

      Have a great second semester!

      Delete
  3. Really don't think this song is poetry. Kinda up in your face and not multidimensional. Like, twenty one pilots is kinda music that the record industry churns out to get 8th grade girls thinking that they're "edgy" and "underground" and "indie" and "not like the other tumblr girls".
    So, in short, really not poetry. In my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riley, I really like your analysis of the song and I think you got at the true meaning of it. This is well written and the meaning you brought out of the song is one that people can understand.

    ReplyDelete