Sunday, December 6, 2015

Discrimination is Always Present

I've never been a huge fan of poetry, but Citizen is something that I'm willing to give a chance. Throughout the book, or at least so far, we see examples of racial discrimination in every day situations. In the section about Serena Williams, especially, we see that discrimination can be present in situations in which we think it wouldn't be. I think that because of the use of poetry, the power of discrimination is made much more present than it would be if it was written like a regular book. I really have learned to appreciate poetry and the power it holds by reading Citizen.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you on that! I think poetry really allows Rankine to make the problem of racism and discrimination in America more descriptive. The writing of the book allows her to create amazing imagery with just a few simple words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I entirely agree with you! I think using poetry was a really clever device to cover the topic of race with much more precision and impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree Lily. Claudine Rankine writes in a way that makes you stop and think about what she is trying to say. Instead of blatant, she writes in a powerful way that really draws you in.

    ReplyDelete