Sunday, December 6, 2015

Did you really just say that?

I think I have a somewhat sheltered view of racism. That’s not to say that I don’t understand the undertones of racism in everyday life, or that I don’t think racism is an issue. I am very aware that society rests on an unhealthy foundation of racism. Still, I have a limited view, since I don’t witness, let alone feel, the extreme reality of racism every day. I rarely hear anyone say something outwardly racist, and when I do, I have a strong reaction to it because it is so rare. I'm white, so even if I see something awful on the news and feel strongly about it, I can never really feel it. I live in a generally liberal climate with a population that recognizes racial issues. My english teachers regularly include texts that focus on race, and my history teachers cover race issues with much concern. I was brought up in an interracial family, raised by people who spoke to me about issues of race from a young age. All of these factors make me feel lucky, but they also worry me, since in the back of my mind, I know that race is a much bigger issue outside of my context. Claudia Rankine's poetry worries me, because it makes me think that even though I live in a place where racism isn't as much of an issue as it could be, I'm somehow ignoring the "micro" effects of racism that are so present in her book. Basically, I have a hard time understanding how naive I am about issues of race. I don't know "where I'm at" with it, and I'm worried that when it comes time to leave Oak Park, I might face more of an issue than I currently face here.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with what you said about not being able to "feel" the experiences that we read about in English and history classes. Unless we transform into a person besides ourselves, how could we possibly feel something that we are not actually experiencing? But I think the real value in Rankine's expressive poetry is that it forces us question our awareness of the racism in our lives and learn how much we don't know.

    ReplyDelete