Sunday, December 6, 2015

"The Best Books I've Ever Wanted Not to Read"

Citizen, like most books, has quotes from reviews on its back cover. Usually these are all equally boring and bland praise, but one review begins, "Citizen is one of the best books I've ever wanted not to read." While I am still not sure what to think of the book, that definitely applies to me. I would never read a book like Citizen on my own time-- I don't particularly like the semi-poetry style, and it's definitely more serious subject matter than anything I'd read for fun. I'd guess that it's not most people's typical reading material, either. But it's still worth reading and important to think about. 

I guess I just think it's a good idea to stretch the boundaries of what you read every once in a while, and Citizen was a good choice. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that Citizen is not my first choice for independent reading. However, I'm glad we are reading it in class. Perrine said poetry can help deepen an experience, so maybe I'll see my life in a different way.

    ReplyDelete