Thursday, December 10, 2015

Walking In The Wind

I chose the song "Walking In The Wind" from One Direction's fifth album, Made In The A.M.  When we were presented with this topic of defending a song as poetry, this was one that I immediately thought of.  I think that all around it is a beautiful song, and certainly is poetry.

The overall meaning and message of this song is that the speaker is talking to their partner, who they don't get to physically be around all the time.  The song is a message to them that even if they are physically apart, they will always be right by their side no matter what.  The opening lines of the song are "A week ago you said to me / 'Do you believe I'll never be too far?'"  These lines indicate that the person being sung to is worried that this distance is going to wear on them, that maybe it won't last because they're so far apart.  That they're doubting that a long distance relationship is realistic or that it will work.  Another line that supports this theme is the lines, "Goodbyes are bitter-sweet / But it's not the end, I'll see your face again."  This line is saying that even though the goodbyes are going to be hard, and it doesn't seem like things are going to work out, they are and they will be together again soon.  And later on in the song this same message is conveyed when the speaker says, "I'll be by your side / Anytime you're needing me," which is almost directly in response with the question posed earlier.  The speaker is saying that this relationship can and will work, because no matter how far apart they may be, they'll be together to support each other.

1 comment:

  1. I have not heard this song, but it sounds like it does have some similarities to the poems that we have read in class. I will listen to it because of this post, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete