Thursday, December 10, 2015

Wings

I personally believe that all music is poetry, and, just as as in conventional poetry, there is good poetry and bad poetry, so not all songs are particularly meaningful. There are many songs that I really believe

The song that I chose as music poetry was "Wing$" by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. This song is very experiential--it describes the life that the person in the song (possible Macklemore describing his own life) lived.

This song, although not all poems do this, is persuasive. It describes the negative affect that materialism--specifically with regards to shoes--can have on people. It describes the superiority that a kid feels when he has more expensive shoes, and how even though they make him feel good about himself, it can lead to horrible things. One bad thing that it describes is one of the kid's friend's brother getting killed for some shoes that he had.

I really like this song, and I believe that it is definitely a form of poetry. It also reminds me a lot of the Spoken Word performances that I have seen, in the way that it is presented, which probably helps my decision.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it´s an experiential and powerful song. I like that it turns from the lyrics telling a story to revealing the true theme as the song progresses. I also like that the song allows the audience to easily follow the story and the speaker´s commentary on the problems with consumerism. I think the speaker could be Macklemore because the song is presented as a memory, so the song could be about his childhood experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you that it reminds me of Spoken Word performances. These performances are very powerful, and also dramatic, similar to this song!

    ReplyDelete