Thursday, December 10, 2015

Something Snarky

I chose the song "Something," by Snarky Puppy, featuring Lalah Hathaway off the album Family Dinner Volume 1. Snarky Puppy is usually only instrumental (check out "Skate U," if you're interested in having you socks blown off) but they created the Family Dinner album in order to collaborate with some great singers, like Lalah Hathaway and Magda Giannikou. The track was nominated and awarded a Grammy for best R&B performance in 2014. Lalah is singing about her unrequited love. She personifies her heart by saying "And there is not one question/ where my heart will run to," which shows that whoever she is singing about is the only person for her. The audience of her song is one person, this person that she loves. It appears that they know each other, but their love has gone unnoticed. She uses a metaphor between her relationship with the person she's in love with and a song to show how right she feels when she's with him/her. This is evident when she says "there's not a note that rings untrue/ said while I'm with you." While her words are powerful, the majority of her feelings are conveyed through her lyric-less singing. She is a talented singer, and during her solo she sings two pitches and harmonizes with herself. Check out the video!


2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite songs, Will. I do think that it is a truly poetic song, but I never thought about it in terms of lyrics. I definitely agree that a lot of the poetry is in her lyric-less singing as it conveys so much emotion, but now I see that the lyrics are poetic and really add to this emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I'm wearing headphones watching the video and it sounds really, really nice. You explain the song and how its poetic in a nice and straightforward way. Now I feel like I should play the song again just to listen for the power in her lyric-less singing

    ReplyDelete