Sunday, December 6, 2015

Serena's Blossom into Herself

In Citizen's section on Serena Williams, there was one line that really stuck out to me. After Serena's victory dance was considered "gangster" by Piers Morgan, Rankine writes "All in a days fun, perhaps, and in spite despite it all, Serena Williams blossoms in Serena Williams," (34). This line really caught my attention because I think that there are so many deeper meanings to it. 

My first thought of what this could mean is that Serena will become the angry woman that society sees her as. She goes from her calm self, into an angry person that society always expects her to be. I feel like because of her race and history of outbursts, it is almost expected that she will get angry at something, or it was not really an interview or match with Serena Williams. 

I also thought that this quote could mean that Serena has two sides to her, which everyone knows. Maybe the angry side of her is not just an expected idea from society, but a real thing. But I do think, she definitely had the right to get angry over this. Maybe Rankine's quote means that she blossoms into a person that will stand up for herself confidently, and she won't take anyone's negative ideas towards her.

1 comment:

  1. That line intrigued me too. I think it means what your second definition states. She is more resilient to the harsh judgments from other people. I remember this year there were people saying that Serena looks like a monster because of her build. Obviously these people are wrong, but Serena showed poise by not saying anything back. She silenced that crowd by playing good tennis and focusing on her skills. Her muscles show that she is committed to the sport, so I do not really understand why people would say that. Anyways, I think Serena really is a heroic person by overcoming the discrimination in her sport and is blossoming into a heroic Serena Williams.

    ReplyDelete