Thursday, December 10, 2015

Hymn for the Weekend

"Hymn for the Weekend" has got to be my favorite song from Coldplay's new album, A Head Full of Dreams. The song is slow, yet strong and features Beyonce's beautiful voice. This song is definitely a work of poetry. I looked up the definition of poetry on google and it said, "Poetry is a literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by use of distinctive style and rhythm." I think "Hymn for the Weekend" fulfills this definition. 

"Hymn for the Weekend," sung by Chris Martin, is about finding the ability to do amazing things with someone whose impact on your life verges on the "angelic." In the intro, Beyonce sings, "Drink from me, drink from me / Then we'll shoot across the sky," "Symphony," and "So high, so high." Beyonce seems to be singing from the perspective of someone who is an angel in Martin's life. Angels are typically associated with living in the heavens, which are located up high in the sky. She wants him to "drink from" her and promises that if he does find his nourishment in her, that they will shoot so high across the sky. 

In verse one, Martin responds to Beyonce's call, "Oh angels sent from up above / You know you make my world light up." Beyonce's character is the kind of person who rescues people when they are down. Martin continues, "When I was down, when I was hurt / You came to lift me up." The angel has lifted his spirits from a melancholy state. Martin continues the imagery of going "so high" and sings, "Life is a drink, and love's a drug / Oh, now I think I must be miles up." He is in a state of ecstasy and happiness after being "hurt, withered, [and] dried up." The angel helped and supported him when she "came to rain a flood."

Martin and Beyonce sing several lines together. Together, they sing, "So drink from me, drink from me." They also sing "We.re on a symphony," and "Put your wings on me, wings on me." They are in harmony and singing these lines together suggests that they are both partaking in seeing what each other has to offer and that they are being angels for each other. The other parts of the chorus that just Martin sings are, "When I was so thirsty," "No I just can't get enough, "When I was so heavy," and "When I'm lower, lower, lower, low." All of these lines describe Martin's character as feeling defeated. He needed help from someone and Beyonce's character comes to save him. 

In the post-chorus, Martin sings, "Got me feeling drunk and high." He is confused, but feels alive at the same time. He feels a mix of emotions and although Beyonce's character is a positive force in his life, she is also a confusing one. This song speaks to me as poetry and it really lifts my spirits if I am ever feeling down. 







1 comment:

  1. After I read this, I listened to this song, and I definitely agree with your analysis. I think this song conveys experience to the listener, which truly makes it poetry.

    ReplyDelete