Friday, October 2, 2015

Who Knew Miley Was Such An Existentialist?

Miley Cyrus is an artists who, in this day and age, rarely needs an introduction. The Tennessee born popstar has always been at the cusp of every recent cultural movement, the creator of every recent trend, and the curator of all things art. Although there are, relatively, three notable phases in which this one-of-a-kind artist inspired these cultural changes, the specific focus of this analysis is on the artist’s second phase known most famously under the edgy psyche, Rock Mafia.

Not only did this persona open up Cyrus’ dangerous side, but the rebellious lyrics and images Rock Mafia then represented, cut the manufactured chains and shackles that [once] restrict[ed] the musician. By viewing the world in this new light, Miley begins to reflect on what it means to be human, what that requires, and what it feels like physically and emotionally. Her newly found realization of the power of self discovery and independence that came of this specific era, is gratefully charted in the 2010 album, Can’t Be Tamed. While the entirety of the album is golden, the 11th track titled Robot, shows Cyrus’ desire for independence best.
It’s been like this from the start,
One piece after another to create my heart.
You mistake the game for being smart,
“stand here”, “sell this”, and “hit your mark”.
As Miley begins the piece, she shows that for the first time in her career, she is becoming cognizant of the domineering and controlling components leading up to her already success. One of the most important things regarding existentialist philosophy is self-awareness--understanding that the structures in our society, that we’ve knowingly/unknowingly created, have huge impact on one’s search for independence. Once one is hyper-aware of those contributing elements, finding way to happiness is more probable.
But the sound of the steel,
And the crush and the grind,
It all screams who am I to decide my life?
But in time it all dies,
There’s nothing left inside,
I would scream,
But I’m just this hollow shell,
Waiting here,
Begging “please”
Set me free so I can feel.
In the above stanzas, Cyrus explores her frustration and readiness to flee from the control that the world has had on her career and life. She feels the emptiness and the artificiality, however is still reliant on the surrounding world, begging it to set her free, not realizing the key is inside her.
Stop telling me I’m part of this big machine
I’m breaking free,
Can’t you see?
I can love,
I can speak,
Without somebody else operating me.
Here, Miley clearly takes the final step in successfully reaching truth in life and in herself. She self-handedly disassembles the system, letting everyone know that she is now breaking free. She can do this on her own, love, speak, she doesn’t need the world operating for her. The artist is now ready to make choices that have otherwise, been decided for her her entire life.
All this time,
I’ve been misled,
There was nothing but crossed-wires in my head,
I’ve been taught to think about what I feel,
Doesn’t matter at all until you say it’s real
In the lines above, Miley beautifully reflects on her previous state. Pointing fingers at the absurd sovereignty that had molded and shaped her every emotion and desire.  This is a very relatable feeling, however very rarely explored at the level of maturity that Cyrus expresses.
Hey!
Stop trying to live my life for me,
I need to breathe,
I’m not your robot.
Stop telling me I’m part of this big machine
I’m breaking free,
Can’t you see?
I can’t love,
I can’t speak,
Without somebody else operating me.
You gave me eyes so now I see,
I’m not your robot.
I’m just me
I’m not your robot.
I’m just me…
This song continues on like this for a good amount of time, in true pop fashion. This allows the listener to really reflect on Miley’s poetic dialogue with herself and the surrounding fabricated world.

2 comments:

  1. Miley had no say in the message of this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... Creator of every recent trend? Ok...

    ReplyDelete