Sunday, October 11, 2015

Proving the Love Formula

In the film, Trust, Maria constructs a formula for love. The formula is respect+admiration+trust= love. I think her formula defines love. In a relationship, each partner needs to respect the other. In Trust, Matthew and Maria both respect each other by allowing them to pursue any career they chose. They also show respect towards each other by listening and helping each other with their concerns. Partners need to also admire each other. Maria and Matthew have a great admiration for each other, which is evident by their physical attraction to each other and the way they take advice from each other. The final component of the formula requires trust. When Maria falls off the concrete block and Matthew catches her, it demonstrates that Maria really does trust Matthew. While Matthew doesn't fall off the concrete block, he does allow Maria to take his precious grenade. I think Matthew and Maria respect, admire, and trust each other, which leads to them falling in love. Some may argue that since Matthew does not get along well with Maria's family and vice versa, that they cannot be in love. However, their families are outside factors that do not affect the attraction that Matthew and Maria have towards each other. In fact, because Maria and Matthew ignore these outside factors, they are an even stronger couple. Maria and Matthew follow Maria's definition of love that I believe truly defines the meaning of love.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you proved Maria's formula! It gave me flashbacks to geometry. I also like that you took a stance on whether or not you believe in her formula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely forgot about her formula. I guess before I was debating whether Matthew's love for Maria was genuine or not. This has swayed me to believe that their love for each other was sincere.

    ReplyDelete