Thursday, October 15, 2015

Explosive Existentialism

The film Trust is an interesting look at the possibility of a modern existentialist. This journey following the transformation of a teenage girl named Marie into a contemporary existentialist is filled with symbolism. Many objects contribute to the literary aspect of the movie building on Marie's journey into existentialism such as milk, clothing, and television sets. Yet one object that stood out the most to me was the grenade. While Matthew originally had the grenade, Marie stole the grenade. I believe that the grenade is the most important object and symbol for Marie in regards to her new existentialist persona. I think that the grenade serves as a constant reminder that death is certain and can happen at any moment. I thought this especially culminated towards the ending of the movie while Matthew intended to set off the grenade, yet the grenade would not go off. When Marie takes charge and grabs the grenade, throwing it off into the distance, I think she completes her transformation. She takes control of her fate and becomes an existentialist while the episode with the grenade is probably on her mind for the rest of her life due to Matthews imprisonment.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the grenade is a constant reminder that death can happen at anytime. However, I think that when the grenade did not go off it was a continuation of this idea, that death is completely random (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the grenade is a constant reminder that death can happen at anytime. However, I think that when the grenade did not go off it was a continuation of this idea, that death is completely random (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your interpretation of the grenade made me rethink that scene a little. I think it could also be interpreted as Maria showing agency and playing an active role in her life by taking the grenade, but now I'm not sure if that shows existentialism or the opposite. But I also think that there are parts of the film that show her care for personal relationships and a desire to control her future, unlike existentialism.

    ReplyDelete