Thursday, October 1, 2015

An Indifferent Optimist

Meursault is a man with few emotions or opinions on anything that crosses his path. For the most part, the remarks he makes give off a  negative and cowardly vibe while still remaining indifferent. After he is locked up in prison, however, Meursault's thoughts and comments seem to have a new tone. He is still detached and uncaring, but in a less depressing manner. While Meursault is sitting in jail waiting to be executed he thinks, "Well so I'm going to die....Since we're all going to die, it's obvious that when and how don't matter" (114). I think this idea is strangely positive for Meursault. He knows he's going to die and he's accepting his fate. Meursault begins to realize that his death is just another part of life and this puts him more at peace as he waits for his execution. He still seems relatively blasé about his inevitable death, yet he does not appear gloomy like he does in the rest of the novel.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you Hannah. I feel that Meursault sort of changes while he's in prison, even though he doesn't feel very guilty for his actions. It's odd that he accepts his fate, just because it's extremely gloomy, but I agree that there is a positive tone to his nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Hannah. I feel that Meursault sort of changes while he's in prison, even though he doesn't feel very guilty for his actions. It's odd that he accepts his fate, just because it's extremely gloomy, but I agree that there is a positive tone to his nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree Hannah. It kind of reminds me of Cell One. Nnamabia and Mersault both change while they are locked away. It's interesting that it takes being in jail to change you. Mersault becomes a happier person and now he can die in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your analysis. I think that it's really important to show this sort of shift in Mersault's thinking.

    ReplyDelete