Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Heart of Oz

While reading the second part of Heart of Darkness, I could not help but be reminded of the Wizard of Oz. Of course, the book is much darker than the movie, but there was just something about it that made me think of it. 

These men taking a long journey to meet some great man really reminded me of Dorothy and her friends going to meet the Wizard of Oz. There is so much anticipation to see what Kurtz is like, just as there is in the Wizard of Oz. In Heart of Darkness, there are many different obstacles to getting to Kurtz, as in the movie. Though there was most likely no correlation between the two, there are really some similarities. I feel like I cannot be the only person who thought of this while reading about Marlowe's journey to Kurtz. The book and the movie are two very different things, but in a way, I think that there are many similarities in things that seem very different from the outside, but once you dig deeper into the meaning of the text, you can see some strange similarities between the two.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't notice the similarities before, but as I read your post, I completely saw the parallel. It is interesting the similar themes a children's story and this novel that we just read.

    ReplyDelete