Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Mystery of Monsieur Perez

Early in The Stranger by Albert Camus, we meet Maman's nursing home flame Monsieur Perez. Meursault sees him as a nuisance but I think of him as just a little old man who is the only one who truly mourned Maman.

Monsieur Perez's purpose is what mystifies me. In the funeral scene he is clearly the image of grief and proper funeral behavior which contrasts Meursault's stoic approach to Maman's death. But later in Meursault's great revelation I find myself thinking of Monsieur Perez. I'm mostly wondering if he's alive so he can prove that he has outlived Meursault after Monsieur Anti-Christ thought so many rude, insensitive thoughts about the old man. I'm also wondering if there was something more in his character. 

Meursault claims to realize why Maman took a fiance so late in her life so that she could live her life all over again. Monsieur Perez then becomes the major part in the new beginning. This brings me back to the way Meursault had imagined starting a life with Marie as his new beginning. Is there some type of comparison between Monsieur Perez and Marie? 

Not many characters in The Stranger have names, not even the man Meursault kills has a name, but Monsieur Perez there which makes me want to believe that there is something more to his character than what is often discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment