Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Blue Dress

As we talked about in class, for almost the entirety of the movie, Trust, Maria is wearing a plain blue dress of Matthew's mother and an over sized Letterman jacket that may have belonged to her old boyfriend. I thought Colette brought up an interesting point in class that she was transitioning into her new life (the dress), but she wasn't going to forget about her life before she met Matthew (the jacket). Her transformation physical transformation was not just physical, but also emotional. She matured after she put on the blue dress. She became interested in learning, and in having intellectual conversations.

I really liked seeing Maria transform from the high school dropout, boy crazy girl, to the smart and independent women she became. She went from being a character that I thought I was going to hate, to a character that I admired. The film really did a wonderful job in the subtle motifs such as the blue dress that made Maria's transformation so powerful for the viewer.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I didn't really care for her character at the beginning. She was a totally new person by the end, that could form her own independent thoughts. Thanks for bringing up the symbolism of the dress and the Letterman jacket again. I forgot about that and, I really liked the connect that was established between both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree Maya. I think the dress definitely represents her transformation. She also asks Matthew what the definitions of some big words are and she said that she was going to go back to school. She was also not someone I thought I was going to like, but my opinion changed towards the end of the movie.

    ReplyDelete