Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Secret Lover

I'm not usually a fan of sexual readings of stories, but for The Secret Sharer, I think Mr. Heidkamp almost got the right idea. I think that the the relationship between Legatt and the Captain was definitely one of love, but I think it was a non-sexual relationship, and I think Mr. Heidkamp went too far looking for an analogy in the end of the book.

I think there is adequate evidence to show that the two were lovers. First of all, the eye contact! There's all sorts of intimate parts of this story where they look at each other and "talk with their eyes." That's something only people in love do! Maybe if they had been friends for a long time, or if they were family members or something, but they just met. Only love can bring two people that close in a short period of time. On top of this eye contact, the two always engage in "groping," encounters, like when the Captain is trying to give Legatt his floppy hat. The most convincing piece of evidence is when the Captain risks his ship and crew to drop Legatt off closer to land. The only reason he would do this is because he loved Legatt.

No comments:

Post a Comment