Friday, October 9, 2015

Motifs in Trust

In the movie Trust, there are a couple different motifs that continue to appear throughout the movie. The motifs that I noticed and Mr. Heidkamp briefly mentioned were milk, TVs, and clothing. I don't really understand what the motifs of milk and TVs mean, but I think that the clothing that Maria wears during the movie show her development.
In the beginning of the movie, Maria was wearing very hip and in style clothing, that her parents deemed to be inappropriate. At this point in Maria's life, her identity is being popular, with the quarterback of the football team as a boyfriend, and a best friend.
Later in the movie, when she has met Matthew and is starting to change a bit. She starts wearing Matthew's mom's dress and her glasses. She continues to wear this for the rest of the movie. I think that this change in clothing shows how Maria kind of took charge of her life. She doesn't really care about standards of other people anymore and won't abide by the standards of society.
Clothing was a motif in Trust that showed Maria's journey and the development of her identity.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post Jilly. You have so very valid points and I agree about how clothing reflected her change. The one thing I was confused about in the movie was the fact that Maria kept on to the Letterman jacket throughout the movie.

    ReplyDelete