Monday, October 12, 2015

Maria the Existentialist

In the movie Trust, there are many events and happenings that could lead one to conclude that the it is an "Existentialist" film. Maria and Matthew questions societal norms and expectations together and individually. They consider getting married, but don't. Matthew quits his job twice. Maria ultimately has the abortion. All of these events can be questioned and debated.

I couldn't come to a conclusion. Is Maria an existentialist? Is Matthew an existentialist? Then I remembered Maria's fascination with the word empirical. Matthew explains to her that empirical means "We don't know anything until we experience it." I think this is the foundation of existentialism. All decisions are made based on experience and fundamental desires and wants. And from the point Maria learns what empirical means, all of her decisions become empirically based. She decides to go to work to pay for an abortion. Maria considers marrying Matthew and then doesn't. And she does ultimately make the decision to get the abortion. She considers all angles of an argument and comes to her own decision independently of what society and the people around her believe.

4 comments:

  1. Hey I blogged about something similar and I agree with you. I think they both show signs of existentialism because they are true individuals and are on their own. They develop through each other and nobody else. Like you said, they challenge different aspects of society. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora, I like that you brought this up. I blogged about Maria being an existentialist without even bringing up the case for her not being one. I had basically the same idea though. To me, she really wasn't an existentialist at the beginning. When things went South, she was alone with Matthew and I think she fed of him and gained her own independent thoughts. That's just my take. Thanks Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora, I like that you brought this up. I blogged about Maria being an existentialist without even bringing up the case for her not being one. I had basically the same idea though. To me, she really wasn't an existentialist at the beginning. When things went South, she was alone with Matthew and I think she fed of him and gained her own independent thoughts. That's just my take. Thanks Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting read. I don't know if you can suddenly be free of societal expectations given how your entire identity was built on those same expectations, but it may be possible.

    ReplyDelete