Thursday, December 13, 2018

When the Party's Over

Billie Eilish's song "When the Party's Over", which is a single, is a call her to lover, trying to put some distance between them. It is not written to be a sad song, but more of an angry mood. The song is an attempt to seek closure of a relationship that she recently managed to walk out of.

         Don't you know I'm no good for you
         I've learned to lose you, can't afford to
         Tore my shirt to stop you bleedin'
         But nothin' ever stops you leavin'

Eilish is trying to find any close from the relationship she just left in the first verse. She is trying to convince herself that she has learned and is able to let him go, by saying she can't afford to but she has no other choice. She has sacrificed so much for him and finally it has been enough. Tearing her shift off to stop him bleeding is a metaphor for taking something off of you to benefit the other. But, as we can see, nothing could stop him from leaving, so she cut him out of her life.

         The Chorus:
         Quiet when I'm coming home and I'm on my own
         I could lie, say I like it like that, like it like that
         I could life, say I like it like that, like it like that

In the chorus, Eilish shares her experience living with another, but now comes home alone. He is never around, and she now comes home every nigh to the eerie silence. 

In the second verse, Eilish presents an idea that can be applied in any type of relationship.

         Don't you know too much already
         I'll only hurt you if you let me
         Call me friend but keep me closer (call me back)
         And I'll call you when the party's over

By stating that she'll only hurt him if he let her, is her saying that by making one mistake in the relationship is enough for the other person to cause an issue. In this relationship, her lover seems to be stringing her along, only pretending to love her. She expresses that he only think of her as a friend, but wants her only for her physical or sexual attractions. 

The last part, which is considered the bridge of the song, between the next two versus, acts as a way that Eilish can have full closure on her last relationship, and move onto the next chapter of her life. 

         But nothing is better sometimes
         Once we've both said our goodbyes,
         Let's just let it go
         Let me let you go

They have already said their goodbyes to each other, and they will each move on from one another and start their new lives. But it is still evident that Eilish is still struggling in the end with being alone, just like she struggled in their relationship. 

1 comment:

  1. I have heard this song and never thought of that

    ReplyDelete