Thursday, December 13, 2018

Going "Beyond" Music Poetry

One of my favorite songs of all time is "Beyond", by Leon Bridges. This song is part of the album titled Good Thing. This soulful, heartfelt song has spoken to me in countless ways. Something I find super powerful about the art of Poetry is that one piece can have many means and feelings associated with it.

To me this song is a song about love, Leon Bridges is singing about a relationship he has with a girl. He uses the art of diction to reveal how he feels about this girl. He starts off the song by explaining how he doesn’t want to fall too hard too quick, but it is true. He is falling for her.
Don't wanna get ahead of myself
Feeling things I've never felt
It's kinda hard for me to explain
Her personality and everything
Later in the song the tone shifts from lust to fear. Bridges start to realize that the feelings he is feeling are strong and they may not end up being reciprocated. This shift reminded me of a Sonnet poem due to the fact that it is about love and starts with a problem and in the end, there is a solution.
I'm scared to death that she might be it
That the love is real, that the shoe might fit
She might just be my everything and beyond (beyond)
Space and time in the afterlife
Will she have my kids? Will she be my wife?
She might just be my everything and beyond, yeah
Give this song a listen, it might take a few listens to understand the meaning, but I guarantee you will enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good analysis and explanation of the artist's use of poetic devices. Besides a couple formatting issues this is a great and well rounded analysis that goes deeper into the meaning of a great song.

    ReplyDelete