Friday, December 14, 2018

Denzel's insight to the troubles of the the music industry

In his song Clout Cobain, on the album Taboo Denzel Curry reflects on his own insecurities as an artist as well as addressing some of the fundamental problems that affect the music industry today.

I just wanna feel myself, you want me to kill myself Man, I been on my own, Lord, I'ma need some help 
I just wanna feel myself, you want me to kill myself
Man, it's been so damn long, dealing with the things I've felt

In this opening chorus Denzel comes forward with his own struggles. Addressing those that wish bad on him as "you", he explains the isolation he feels and the constant feeling that others want to see him fail, or even kill himself.

I don't even know what to feel, they don't even know what's real
Dry tears with a dollar bill, I'm out tryna make a mill', oh
Why you wanna take my soul? I'm yelling out "hell no!"
I can't even trust my friends, most of them might be foes

The first first dives into the fear and insecurities that Denzel feels as an artist. He even goes as far as to say he feels his own friends might not even be trustworthy. The use of "they" in the first line is meant to reference some fans who don't recognize the real and painful things that artists can experience.

He feels many fans turn a blind eye to artist's mental health and can't see the real problems they are facing. He even goes on to say they're attempting to take his soul and identity by stripping him down to just someone who makes music and doesn't have serious problems.

These problems are often swept under the rug and not talked about until the artist ultimately may have to step away from music or even take their own life. By calling out these issues Denzel wants to bring awareness to the severity of the difficulties artists face in the music industry.




No comments:

Post a Comment