Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Romantic technology

Romanticism slowly seems to be diminishing due to technology. Social media has caused more conformity than ever. How can I get more likes? Who do I aspire to make myself out to be online? There is a huge disconnect now from reality to the internet. Working at an ice cream parlor I see serious faced customers examine all the choices, complain about the price, then pose for an excited selfie next to their sprinkle topped cookie dough waffle cone. After posing for a selfie, many sit with their friends or family outside then all immediately take out their phones to see what others are doing. Why look at what others are doing when you are outside with people you love eating ice cream? Why take away from your own individual experience, and remove yourself from the happiness that comes with ice cream, friendship, and warm weather, to mindlessly scroll through the faces of people you may talk to once a week or less?
Personally I work two jobs, I train at the gym every morning, and try to run outside or bike everyday after school, and for longer on the weekends. I never bring my phone with me on my runs to completely embrace myself in nature, and to connect my body and my breath with my movements. Nature and personal experiences in nature have become my own form of meditation and joy. I always strive to do what makes me happy, and for the most part it differs greatly from the people around me. From going on 100 mile bike rides with no music along the lake, to wearing "hammer-pants" I found at Salvation Army for $2 to school, I truly believe I have established myself as an individual. Though I do catch myself scrolling through Instagram and Facebook, I try to limit myself. I like to think that wherever I am, and whatever I am doing with myself, my friends, or my family is more interesting, or important than anything I could watch from the screen in my pocket.

3 comments:

  1. I strongly agree with your analysis of Romanticism in today's society. I too believe that technology is taking over Romanticism every day. Less and less people are going outside and experiencing nature and more people are sitting on their couches snapchatting or posting pictures on Instagram. I think that if Romanticism still wants to remain a prevalent part of society, then technology has to somehow die down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your analysis, however I think that Romanticism is more than "letting go" of social media. While you have made some great observations about the world around you, I believe that true Romanticism is not having a need for social media at all. I think to be truly Romantic, you must completely disengage from the online world and feel completely content with that decision. We have been bred to cherish our phones and technology, so I don't know if full-on Romanticism is even possible anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree and also think that Romanticism is losing the battle to technology in terms of social media. But, technology has also created mechanisms such as virtual reality have created a way for people to virtually "dance with daffodils." So, even though I agree that experiencing the real thing is better, when that isn't always possible, I think technology can be helpful.

    ReplyDelete