Monday, April 16, 2018

Heidkamp's Hypocrisy

I find a distinct irony in learning about and subsequently picking apart romanticism in the classroom, particularly when the one demanding we "dance with the daffodils" is the same one assigning us time-consuming homework. Although learning isn't inherently unromantic, the structure and expectations of our school system certainly inhibit living life in accordance to this philosophy. I know myself and many other students feel stuck in a repetitive cycle of schoolwork, done with little deliberateness or motivation beyond "I need an A". The high workload of challenging classes and standardized testing forces students to prioritizing "doing" over "thinking" in order to meet society's metrics of success, forgoing any conscientiousness. Even if we ignore this superficiality, the premise alone of spending 7 hours sitting inside only to go home and sit inside for however many hours more seems to inhibit the appreciation of life and nature Whitman would encourage.

I realize the expectation that we all drop out and start a poetry writing commune in the woods somewhere is unrealistic (and would leave our poor Bernie out of a job), but I wonder what steps could be taken to balance modern education with a romantic enjoyment of life's pleasures. Personally I found an appreciation for the small moments of friendship and the tranquility of nature while at summer camp as a child, but not everyone had that same opportunity. I guess my only hope is that we can all "get away" from the busyness of school sometime before college starts, as I'm sure higher education will consume our time at an unprecedented level. Whether that means working at a camp like I am or simply stuffing your friends into a van and taking a weekend trip to Wisconsin, I think a truly romantic experience could help us all reflect as we begin an undoubtedly tumultuous chapter of our lives.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this blog post. I never really thought about how school is taking away our ability to experience romanticism. We are forced to stay inside and do homework rather than experience nature and life. I also was able to go to a sleep away camp in North Carolina when I was in 7th grade. For a month, I was experiencing nature everyday with no technology around. It was a very peaceful moment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful stuff, powerful stuff, now get out there and suck all the marrow out of life it has to offer. Stop slaving stagnant on walt whitty's works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In an ideal world I'm sure Heidkamp would be perfectly happy assigning us less homework. As for him being a hypocrite for telling us to "dance with the daffodils" I'm not so sure that's true. He pretty much got into character for every single literary style and era we've gone over this year. He does it as a teaching device rather than to express his own personal philosophies.

    ReplyDelete