Monday, April 16, 2018

Pitfalls and Pickups

Much like other artistic movements, Romanticism has perpetuated and held questionable themes, all the while producing renowned work. A common theme throughout English Romanticism is to fetishize and generalize cultures in order to create a natural world virtually untouchable to Westerners. This odd dichotomy of appreciating the natural world whilst tearing down its originality in order to fit into a Westernized lens has been brought to light more and more as Romanticism is studied.

I feel through my own observations some aspects of Romanticism, specifically in regards to the glorification of the natural world, are still present today in a harmful manner. However, I also find this same rebellion against industrialization in a way that is more expansive and renovated to modern day standards.

The foundational usage of the natural world and its conservation in Romanticism can be influential if done in a manner that truly appreciates something for what it is, and leaves out the generalizations and stereotypes of people. Preaching an appreciation for our surroundings, and its seemingly out worldly mechanisms can be done without harmfully boxing in groups of people. I feel our generation could use some appreciation for the resources many of us still have today, and hopefully this appreciation would prompt conservation as well.

1 comment:

  1. I totally see what you're saying. I remember thinking that the Romantic art that Bernie showed us was really problematic, but then I really just forgot to follow up about it. I resent the landscape paintings from the Romantic era because they just do not depict reality. The idea that the "Wild Wild West" was uncultivated when Americans forced their way onto the land is just absurd considering the MILLIONS of Native Americans who had been living there and working the land for hundreds of years. I'm glad you reminded me of this!!!

    ReplyDelete