Monday, April 16, 2018

My Own Version of a Romantic Poem

My intentions aren’t to fill you with the leaves of Whitman.
But if I had to compare you to one thing,
It would be along the lines of the seasons.
Summer is far too temperate to sum you up,
And autumn too flimsy and crinkly.
Maybe right between winter and spring.
That kind of time where
You’re not so sure if you’ll be chilled and brittle,
Not so sure if you’ll be reborn and baptized in warm beams
That saturate you only to the brink of sweat.
I’d never met someone who could simultaneously
Make me quiver and tremble at the idea of safety.
Or make me so insecure a drizzle of perspiration was always there,
Reminding me I was one of many who were feeling the same thing.
Cause I don’t believe in that drenching,
Heart hugging kind of love.
I think people are gonna leave you when you’re least ready to let ‘em go.
And no altering season is is gonna change that hovering, cloudy thought.
Don’t you recall that night,
When the moon sent down sharp teeth onto the earth,
And swallowed everything we knew about the inky black parts of night?
You told me everything was okay with us.
I wished day would come and materialize the truthful syllables under your tongue.
But the funny thing about affection is,
It falls right when you think it’s rising.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't know what this is about but it's lovely in a well written way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly think you just proved Romanticism is alive.... this was incredible and beautiful and lovely all while combining the individual experiences, natural aspects, and feelings of awe that romanticism entails

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me feel bad for just bashing Romantics in mine! Seriously awesome. You used (I think) just the right amount of natural inspiration and imagery without being obnoxious about it. So cool. I really understood the feeling behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you for this:) Just got a rush of nostalgia combined with a untrackable sense of déjà vu. The founders of the movement would be proud of you and the responses you are creating in people.

    ReplyDelete