Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Living in Romanticism

I fully believe in the existence as well as the importance of Romanticism. We were not put on Earth, by whatever Power, Big Bang, or series of evolutions, to just live. We were put here to experience.

Last summer, I traveled to Tanzania, Africa. I've always admired our world and considered myself an Environmentalist, but nothing could prepare me for what I saw in TZ. We live on such a beautiful planet and we are so incredibly lucky to still have the nature we have- which will not be much in a couple hundred years in the way that we are destroying Mother Earth. However, the destruction of our environment is a tale for another time.

The individuals that I met in TZ were significantly happier than my classmates in the States. A lot of my friends from TZ wore the same 3 shirts, had to get up at 5 am to do house chores, and/or ate the same thing for dinner every single night. Regardless of what they didn't have, they always felt lucky. They felt lucky to live on a planet that gave them life.

My trip really opened my eyes to the beauty of nature. And no, not in the stereotypical way in which I just post pictures of Earth Day of the Serengeti with a snobby comment like, "Save the Earth." But, in a way where I appreciate and admire the Earth for what it really is- not for what we humans have turned it into. While I do enjoy the homes of Frank Lloyd Wright and the thrill of being in the middle of the Windy City on a nice sunny day, I would way rather be in real nature.

The nature that we have not corrupted and built upon as a society, but the nature that has been here for millions and millions of years. As humans, we have taken what we have been given and have transformed it into an advanced and intellectual society, but we have not taken the time to take a step back and say thank you for all that we have.

The Earth is not here for us, we are here for her.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the way that you formatted your blog. I also liked how you focused on one section of Romanticism and connected it both to society and your own personal experiences. I agree that while Romanticism can be seen where you live, it is more obvious once you leave and get out of your comfort zone. I traveled overseas as well last summer, but my experience was much different, but it sounds like a few of the lessons that we learned were similar.

    ReplyDelete