Monday, November 21, 2016

When Life Gives You Lemons...

Beyonce's Lemonade is a work of art and a work of literature. Most believe that the inspiration comes from her relationship with Jay Z, but it is clear that the album goes much further than that. It speaks to black women, acknowledging them more than anyone else ever would.

After reading an article by Ijeoma Oluo, the larger meaning of Lemonade became very clear to me. I used to also believe that the visual album was a message to Jay Z but I was basing my opinion off of what I had heard from the media, and not actually seeing it myself to make my own decision. After seeing the first 45 minutes of the album, I still had some belief that it was about Jay Z. Though I knew there had to be another meaning, I couldn't quite figure it out on my own. I read one article and the ideas became crystal clear.

Lemonade is a message to black women across the country. It is acknowledging them and their struggle, and giving them the recognition they well deserve. Beyonce draws a Malcolm X quote: "The most disrespected person in America is the black woman. The most unprotected person in America is the black woman. The most neglected person in America is the black woman." Beyonce addresses this directly in her work and makes it her mission to change this in Lemonade. She wants the black female to be a more important and recognized figure, and does so by empowering her through strong visual and lyrical art.

5 comments:

  1. I really liked this analysis. It helped me find the true meaning behind Beyonce's message. It makes me happy that there is something so profoundly unique made available to black girls by one of the most powerful women in history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this analysis. It helped me find the true meaning behind Beyonce's message. It makes me happy that there is something so profoundly unique made available to black girls by one of the most powerful women in history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your clarification in this post. It has helped me further understand Beyonce's beautifully complex work of art. (also 10/10 for that title, very nice)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate your clarification in this post. It has helped me further understand Beyonce's beautifully complex work of art. (also 10/10 for that title, very nice)

    ReplyDelete